05 May 2006

Helping to Reduce Symptoms - New Diet and Lifestyle Changes

I have started to change my diet and incorporate more exercise in my routine, instead of just sitting at a computer all day.

I have modified my diet, to include more vegetables, more protein and less sugar, so that I can try to balance my sugar levels, which can cause me havoc in the week prior to menstruation. I am especially having more low fat protein every day - from having stir fried vegetables with some type of meat, to pasta with feta cheese and eggs, to vegetables and beans in a tomato based sauce with rice.

I make sure I have some type of low fat protein in my breakfast - from eggs, to yoghurt, to cheese - just to make sure that I am starting the day well. Of course I have some carbohydrates, either in the form of bread and juice or stir friend vegetables.

Plus I bought some supplements to take:
  • St John's Wort - for the anxiety, mood swings, nervous tension and irritability I feel in the week before my periods. I bought a liquid supplement, so I can adjust the amount I need, depending on the level of negative feelings I have. I usually can take a small amount, just a few drops, much less than the recommended dose, to gain the benefits
  • Evening Primrose Oil - for the bloating effect that seems to take hold from about two weeks prior to PMS

I have also added more exercise into my day - from working out on my fitball to going for power walks. I haven't done as much as I should, but I am doing some. My stomach area is a little sore today from doing some intense stomach crunches on my fitball (or gymball) yesterday. But it's that good pain, which makes you realise you know you have worked it out.

I am also continuing with the vitamin B supplement - it contains all the B vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12), plus the co-factors (biotin, choline, folic acid and inositol) as well as vitamin C.

    Biotin, choline, folic acid and inositol are vitamin B co-factors - they help the B vitamins to work more effectively and should always be included in a vitamins B supplement (and also in a multi-vitamin). The supplement I take has good levels of all the vitamins and I only need to take one a day and I like it as it is natural without any preservatives or other additives.

    By doing all this, I have found that the symptoms of PMS I am experiencing has decreased, especially the blood sugar fluctuations, anxiety and bloating. I am not so likely to feel as emotional and have more mental clarity. I also have more energy and don't feel so overwhelmed by the PMS symptoms I usually get. Now, the symptoms just get a little bad the day or two prior to menstruation.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment