Cous Cous and Quinoa Prawn Delight
Makes: 4 portions
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Ingredients200g wholewheat cous cous
100g wholegrain quinoa
300g prawns (you can use more if you like), peeled, leave tail on
3 carrots, cut into 2-3cm thin sticks
1 eggplant, cut into small cubes
1 red (Spanish) onion, chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped finely
12-16 snow peas, cut julienne
4 tsp sesame seeds
4 tsp pine nuts
1 vegetable stock cube (use an organic one)
Fresh coriander leaves
- Finely chop the garlic and onions and to a pan with some olive oil.
- Saute the garlic and onion at medium heat until they are transluscent.
- In a pan, add 3 cups of water to the quinoa with a pinch of salt and a small amount of olive oil and boil until the quinoa opens a little (about 5-7 minutes) with the lid on, checking on the quinoa to see when it is finished.
- Meanwhile, add 200g cous cous with about 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil, the stock cube and 300ml of boiling water and let simmer uncovered for about 1 minute, after which you need to turn off the heat and place a lid on the pan. After about 4-5 minutes of this, fluff the cous cous with a fork and set aside.
- Add the carrots to the pan with the garlic and onion and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the eggplant to the pan and sauted a little more. Add a little olive oil and/or water if there is not enough liquid to get the eggplant cooked properly.
- Drain the quinoa and add it to the pan with the cous cous.
- In a large serving bowl, add the quinoa/cous cous, then slowly add the vegetables and then the prawns and mix through thoroughly.
- Serve immediately, topped with the snow peas, some chopped coriander, a sprinkle of sesame seeds and pine seeds.
Recipe was taken from: Cous Cous Quinoa Prawn Delight - Vital Health Zone